The Principal Disputes Tribunal Referee has directed from 26 May 2020 (inclusive) Disputes Tribunal hearings can resume in person at court house locations.

Please note: Existing scheduled teleconference hearings will proceed as currently arranged. In order to align with existing government COVID Alert Level protocols parties appearing in person will need to comply with the following conditions:

•    No witnesses will be allowed to be present at in person hearings until further notice – If required the presiding Referee will telephone them from the hearing room or arrange for them to attend in person at a later date if this is necessary. (This is to keep people numbers within court buildings to a minimum).

•    If a party is appearing as an individual, they may bring only one support person to attend the hearing.

•    If a party is an organisation, company, or some other legal entity a maximum of two persons will be permitted to represent that party.
If you have any questions regarding whether you are required to attend the hearing in person or via telephone please contact your local court registry directly or 0800 COURTS (0800 268 787).

Making a claim is also known as filing or lodging a claim.

Apply online

It’s quickest and easiest to apply online

apply online button

When you apply online your application will be sent straight to the Disputes Tribunal Team who will confirm your application and schedule a hearing.

  • no need to visit a court until your hearing
  • you can upload any additional documents online
  • we will contact you directly if any additional information is needed.

Or file a claim by paper

You'll need to fill in and send us the Disputes Tribunal claim form.

Claim form [PDF, 214 KB]

You’ll need to give us 3 copies of the form and any other documents.

Mail or deliver your claim to us

Postal address:
Ministry of Justice

Or you can deliver your claim to your local District Court.

How to pay when you apply by paper form

  • By post or courier: you must pay by cheque (made out to ‘Ministry of Justice’). Don’t send cash in the post.
  • You can pay by EFTPOS, credit card or cash at your local court.

Find your local court(external link)

Get help

You can get help making a claim from:

You usually need to make a claim within 6 years after the event that caused the dispute. If you can't make the claim within 6 years, you should talk with a lawyer.

If you can’t afford a lawyer you may be able to get:

This page was last updated: